Jim McCanna is a resident partner at Burt Blee’s office in Auburn, Indiana. His practice focuses on transactional law in the areas of real estate (industrial, commercial and residential), estate planning, probate and elder law, healthcare, banking, mortgage, and corporate and commercial law. He also practices municipal and government law for various clients including the DeKalb County Government, Board of Health, Redevelopment Commission, and St. Joe-Spencerville Regional Sewer District. Jim is also registered as a mediator in the areas of civil and family law.
After graduating from the Indiana University School of Law in Indianapolis, Indiana, with honors in 1974, Jim began his legal career as a Judicial Law Clerk for the Honorable Dixon W. Prentice, Indiana Supreme Court, from 1973 to 1975. He worked in private practice in Fort Wayne from 1975 to 1978, and established his practice in Auburn in 1978.
Jim has extensive involvement in DeKalb County, including his service as a founding and continuing board member and officer of the DeKalb County Economic Development Partnership. He has been a continuous member of the Indiana Supreme Court Committee on Character and Fitness since 1988. He has also dedicated over 38 years of service to the Georgetown University Undergraduate Admissions Department, having served for 18 years as Chairman of the Northern Indiana Alumni Admissions Program Region.
Areas of Practice:
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Business & Corporate Law
- Commercial Law
- Estate Planning & Administration
- Healthcare Law
- Mediation (Civil and Family)
- Municipal & Government Law
- Real Estate
- Allen County Bar Association
- DeKalb County Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Indiana Supreme Court Committee on Character and Fitness, Member
- St. Thomas More Society
- DeKalb County Economic Development Partnership, Board Member and Treasurer
- DeKalb Memorial Hospital, Board of Directors (Former Board Member and Past Chair)
- Auburn Chamber of Commerce, Member (Past President)